Stewart Memorial Fountain
A prominent landmark in Glasgow’s Kelvingrove Park, the Stewart Memorial Fountain was commissioned to commemorate Robert Stewart, the Lord Provost of Glasgow between 1851 and 1854.
Stewart secured the Act of Parliament which enabled Glasgow to obtain an urgently required supply of fresh water from here at Loch Katrine. At the time Glasgow was considered to be one of the most densely populated and polluted cities in Europe. Stewart’s achievement helped eradicate typhoid and cholera epidemics, which undoubtedly helped the healthier Glasgow populace to achieve the status ‘Second City of the Empire’.
The theme for the fountain is Sir Walter Scott’s poem ‘Lady of the Lake’, written here at Loch Katrine while Scott was on holiday with his family in 1810. The fountain was designed by Glasgow architect James Sellars in 1872 and is constructed from sandstone, granite and marble. Granted ‘A’ listed status in December 1970, over the years the fountain has been subject to vandalism and poor maintenance. However, in 2009 a comprehensive restoration programme was started. Costing over £500 000, this restoration has seen the replacement of many missing features and has returned the Stewart Memorial Fountain to its former glory.